We use reclaimed wood for nearly everything we do. In our world “reclaimed” could mean that the wood came from just about anything, but rarely do we get our hands on actual barnwood. So when we ended up with an old barnwood door, we had to use the wood for something extra cool. Now it’s finally time to share the final project in our bathroom makeover, which is also our barnwood project. I hope you guys are going to love it as much as I do!
See, this new piece of “art” on our bathroom wall, has a secret. Okay, maybe it’s not actually a secret, because you probably already figured it out. J
It’s another medicine cabinet! Seriously, the amount of storage we gained in this whole makeover is pretty much amazing!
The actual construction of the cabinet is very nearly the same as the Vintage Window Medicine Cabinet I shared last week, so I am going to give you a more abbreviated version this time around. For more information, be sure to check out the details on the other post.
We built the frame, added a back, and put in shelves. Once all of that was completed, it was time to add the doors, which are completely different from the window cabinet.
The doors on this cabinet were not going to open and close in the traditional way, so using our barnwood, we built two separate doors the met in the middle.
Then we trimmed the doors only on the outside edges. The trim sits flush against the face of the doors, and overlaps the cabinet itself.
Now here is what makes this cabinet unique… because of where the cabinet would be located in the bathroom, we didn’t really want a door that would stick out into the room when opened. So instead of hinges, we used drawer slides.
We fit the cabinet into the wall. Again you can see how we did that part on this post.
The we messed around with the doors and the drawer slides to fine tune the way they opened/closed. Just look at all that space!
Now, as beautiful as that barnwood is, it’s a little bit plain just hanging out on the wall like that, and I had some big plans for that blank space.
I have said this before but, I am not an artistic person. Thankfully, I am very creative so I can usually find a way around the lack of artistic ability. I knew I wanted this to be an “Apothecary” cabinet and I had a vision in mind, so I trolled the internet looking for some help with the design itself. I found several ideas I liked but nothing that was perfect so I came up with something that combined various ideas. It’s important to mention here, that the best part of the aged/distressed look is that nothing needs to be perfect. When it’s all said and done you sand it down and you can just sand away the parts you don’t like. J
Next I hung my sketch on the doors the way I wanted it to sit, and then I used my Absolute Favorite Way to make signs. Full details here.
With the tracing complete, it was time to start painting.
It truly is as easy as “coloring inside the lines”, you are just using a paintbrush instead of a crayon. J
Just a little sanding and it’s all done.
I love all the little bottles.
The doors open nice and smooth, and no one will hit their head on a door sticking out.
If you’ve been following along with our bathroom update, I’ve already mentioned several times that this is my favorite of the many projects we did. If you haven’t seen all of the other projects, you can find them with the links below.