This project has been a long time coming. Literally, I started it over a year ago. I was cleaning the bathroom one day, dusting the trim, when I suddenly decided that I couldn’t stand the gaps any longer.
I like hot showers, like really hot. The kind that makes the whole bathroom so steamy it is literally dripping down the walls. Our wood trim? Not such a fan of the extreme humidity. The fluctuations from the cold dry air of forced air heat in the winter to the extreme humidity of my showers, and of Michigan summers, caused the trim to shrink and swell over and over again. As a result, all of our carefully caulked seams looked pretty awful.
There is quite a bit of trim in there, so there were lots of bad spots.
As if the trim gaps weren’t annoying me enough, the corner of our bathroom is up against the chimney, Apparently, as the house does it’s normal shifting, the chimney doesn’t move as much as the walls, so this corner had just a bit of drywall damage as well as separating trim.
When we bought our house the bathroom was so outdated it was nearly back in style. The turquoise tile had a certain charm that I almost liked. The semi-coordinating seafoam green tile that lined the walls, however, left a lot to be desired.
So we completely gutted the bathroom.
Now, a few years later, there was very little wrong with the bathroom, and we still really like it. We definitely weren’t aiming for a full makeover, just a few touchups.
So I cut out the bad caulk,
Re-caulked, and re-painted. Okay, I may be over-simplifying a bit. It was actually part of the inspiration for this post: How to Make Old Trim Look New Again.
Now that would have been good enough for me, but apparently Patrick had other ideas. I swear I only turned my back for two minutes and next thing I knew he was scraping and mudding the walls and ceiling!..
And it turned out that was just the beginning of a bigger project than I had planned… Stay tuned for more!