I don’t have enough surfaces in my house. Okay, my house is really tiny so if I am being honest, I don’t have enough of a lot of things. Not enough surfaces, not enough wall space, not enough storage… You know how they say that with properties it’s all about “location, location, location”? Well, they’re right, and our location is top notch. Most people would probably consider my house a cute little starter home, or maybe a quaint little retirement cottage. I guess you could say we do too, starter home, retirement cottage, and everything in between. :-)
The moral of this little ramble is to explain that when I have a problem, yo, I’ll solve it. Oops, sorry, went a little Vanilla Ice for a second there. Seriously though, when you truly never want to leave your home, you tend to try harder to find solutions for the little details that bother you. For example, not enough surfaces for storage and decoration. I wanted more, so I made more.
Honestly, Patrick and I made it together, but only because he came home unexpectedly early that day. :-)
He has a tendency to take over my projects and turn them into something more or bigger than I intend. I had something pretty specific in mind for this though, so I didn’t let him run with it the way he ordinarily would. It is for this reason that he is requiring me to put this disclaimer out there: This is not the proper way to build furniture and no respectable furniture maker would ever do it this way. Patrick is a very good and talented builder and would never have taken such shortcuts, but his wife made him… well, now that that’s over with. J
We started with some 1x and ripped it into strips about 1.5"wide. We needed 8 at 32" long, to make the legs.
We also needed 1x at 2.5" wide. Two of them at 27" long and two at 8" long to create the top of the table frame.
With the help of the table saw, we carefully notched out a corner on 4 of the leg pieces,
Then attached them to the uncut pieces using wood glue and a nail gun.
Once all of the legs were ready, we used the Kreg Jig to drill holes and attach the top frame piece to the legs.
The we added extra structural support in each top corner.
We used the Kreg Jig for this part as well.
Using more 1x, we created shelf supports at 1.5" wide and 12" long. Then attached them to the correct portions of the legs.
The table would have looked pretty good if left like this, but I wanted decorative X’s on the sides.
So we used more 1x , carefully measured angles,
and notched out the centers,
to create interlocking pieces,
which were then nailed into place.
At this point the building itself was nearly complete, so I explained that I was planning to paint the table structure white but that I wanted the top and shelves to be made from a rougher natural wood.
Then I left him on his own while I went to find the paint.
Of course, left unsupervised, he decided to run with it a bit,
I came back only to find the very old picnic table that we found in the woods when we moved in, had been sawn into pieces.
The picnic table was far from structurally sound anymore so I didn’t think too much of it, understanding that the wood had aged beautifully and would finish off the table perfectly.
I continued on my way and painted the table base, then returned once it was dry enough.
Patrick quickly nailed on the pieces that he had ready and waiting, and that’s when I saw what he had been up to.
See, like I said, we had found that picnic table when we first moved into the house. That was around 11 years ago. That first summer we would have bonfires and sit at the old picnic table for dinner pretty often. (We still do that now but stopped using the unsafe table a few years ago.) On one of those first nights we had carved our initials into the table, and he had carefully cut the table top so that our initials would be perfectly front and center.
It was such a sweet and unexpected gesture.
I am just thrilled with how this little table turned out.
We have a ton of books in our house so I am always looking for new places to put them.
This table is the perfect combination of form and function.
It looks great,
goes perfectly with the style of our home,
and serves as a little extra storage for some of the more decorative books in our collection.
For more DIY projects from The Refurbished Home, hit the blue "Subscribe to our blog" button on the top right of the page, and be sure to check out some of our other popular projects with the links below.