Remember last winter when I shared the tutorial for the industrial shelf we made? If you recall, at the end of that post, I mentioned that I had a plan to build some custom rolling storage crates. Well, it’s been almost a year now, so it’s about time that I finally got around to building them.
I think that is one of the hardest things about being a creative, DIY type personality, I constantly have a ton of ideas running around in my head. It can be really difficult to prioritize those ideas and sometimes that means I don’t get around to the good ones for waaaaaayyyyy too long.
Anyhow, I absolutely love the way they turned out! They provide so much extra storage which is one of my very favorite things!
Obviously the first step was to figure out how big they needed to be. I took the measurement and then laid out enough pieces to be slightly taller than I wanted.
I ran the bottom pieces through the table saw to remove the groove from the bottom of each.
Then I measured the proper height,
made a mark,
and ran the top pieces through to remove the “tongue” and achieve the correct overall height.
The next step is to get the proper length for each piece.
I started by cutting one side of each piece to a 45 degree angle with the chop saw.
Then I measured and marked the desired length,
and cut the other end at the opposite 45 degree angle.
Once all of the pieces were cut to the right size, it was time to sand down the paint. Everything in our house has a more aged and/or rustic feel, so clean painted white bins wouldn’t really fit in.
Then it was time to start building! Beginning with the tops (they were built upside-down), I laid out the first row of pieces.
It was important to get the corners right on this first row, because it was used to lay out everything else.
Once the angles were right; the corners were nailed in place.
Then braces were nailed to the table, inside the frame, to keep it locked in place. (When the first bin was completed, those braces then served as the framework to build each additional bin.)
A layer of wood glue was applied into the groove,
then the second layer was added, and corners once again nailed.
The process continued,
ending with the 6th and final row.
With all the walls built, it was time to make a bottom. So back to the table saw to cut some old shelving to the right dimensions.
Then that was glued in place as well.
We wanted these bins to function a bit like drawers, so we added wheels to the bottom. Side note: I picked up swivel casters, thinking I wanted the extra maneuverability, and have regretted it ever since. As I said, we wanted these to function like drawers and fixed wheels would have been much better. I should really quit complaining and change them. :-)
The most time consuming, patience testing step, was clamping it all down tight and then waiting, about 24 hours, for the glue to dry.
The only thing left to do was to attach the drawer pull. You’re going to love the ridiculously easy way I got around measuring.
By adding a little dab of toothpaste to each screwhole,
and then pressing the pull where I wanted it,
the toothpaste was perfectly transferred to show me exactly where to drill my holes.
If you are especially particular, you may want to still measure it out the old fashioned way, but eyeballing it was definitely good enough for me.
So like I said, I couldn’t be happier with how these turned out.
I love the style and look of them.
Patrick says they remind him of old bee boxes, which works for me. :-)
Our house was built in 1940, at a time when there wasn’t nearly so much focus on building in closet or storage space.
We are always trying to come up with ways to increase the storage in our little home,
and these crates have really made a big difference.
One of them even has a special secret hiding inside, but that’s a story for next week…
For more great DIY projects: