If you have been hanging around The Refurbished Home for the last few weeks, you know that we are sharing the details of our bathroom makeover. Now it’s time to share the 5th project in the series.
We started with the basics, touching up the trim, repainting etc.
Built some new towel storage,
Created these natural wood floating shelves,
And hung a gallery wall.
But now we get to move on to the first of my two favorite projects in this makeover.
A reclaimed window turned medicine cabinet. Those of you who follow along, know that additional storage is kinda my mantra. I adore my 1940’s home, but storage wasn’t really a big priority back then, so I am always trying to find new ways to maximize the storage options.
This time we started with an old window. We removed the nasty glazing on the back side, and removed the glass.
I like the old, distressed, chippy paint look as much as the next guy but in this case we decided it need to come off. Since this is a frequently used cabinet rather than a simple display piece, the paint would just be continuing to chip all over the place. We would end up with a constant mess and eventually that old paint would all be gone anyway, so we sanded it down pretty thoroughly.
I knew I wanted to put in photos, but I didn’t really want just 3 super long and narrow photos, so we added some small strips to break up the openings.
Then I coated the whole thing in paint.
We replaced the glass with plexi-glass. It’s cheaper, easier to cut, and more durable for a cabinet that opens and shuts several times a day.
Then we finished off the front with thin plywood to serve as the backer for the photos.
While I finished up with the door, Patrick started building the cabinet itself. He started by making a frame that matched the dimensions of the window itself.
Then he used 1x4 to build a box that sits on the inside edge of that frame,
and glued and nailed the whole thing together.
We brought a bunch of items that we intended to store in this cabinet, out to the shop so we could decide on the placement of the shelves. Then we cut them to size and nailed them from the outside of the box. Then the whole thing got a couple coats of paint.
The door was attached with a piano hinge.
We cut it down to size, then attached it to the door.
Then attached it to the cabinet.
Just a bit of distressing,
and the whole thing was ready to go.
Now we get into the slightly more complicated part. The wall where were placing this cabinet is 100% NOT LOAD BEARING! Every house is different and I cannot even begin to tell you whether or not your wall will need additional structural support if you intend to cut into a wall. Or whether or not there may be wires or pipes etc running through your wall. All I can do is show you how we installed ours, but please consult a builder before cutting into your wall! Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way…
We measured and leveled, then measured and leveled some more…
and drew a nice outline of where we needed to cut.
Then cut out a big chunk of the wall.
and slid the cabinet into place. It was attached by shooting some massive nails into the studs on the top and bottom of the cabinet.
And finally I got to the fun part! I chose a bunch of photos with a sort-of timeless classic feel to go with the vintage window factor. I had them all printed out by Staples as black on white photos on just standard paper. That many 8x10’s could have gotten pricey but this way they only cost a few bucks total, and despite the cheap paper, they look great!
I used a scrap of the plexi-glass to make a template and then traced where to cut out each photo. It worked perfectly because I could see through it to make sure I was keeping the best portion of each image.
With all the images in place,
it was time to tack the back panels into place. These glazier points are super easy to use.
Just use a chisel or flathead screw driver in the corner of it, then hit the handle with a hammer to tap it into place. Sorry I couldn’t get an “in-process” photo. Sometimes I really need a third arm.
Looking back as I write this, there are a lot of steps and a lot of photos, but honestly, this is a pretty quick and easy project. Not including the paint dry time, it only took us about an hour from start to finish, and the additional storage we gained is amazing.
This entire cabinet is dedicated to Patrick’s stuff, such as his Rhett and Link beard oil, because obviously….
and most people that see it don’t even realize there’s a cabinet behind it.
It’s the perfect complement to our bathroom décor
and with that, we are left with only one more bathroom project to share next week. You’re going to love it!
For the full makeover so far, take a peek at these posts: