When Patrick and I bought our house the backyard was a neglected overgrown mess that gave the impression it may have been lovely garden at one time. We had big ideas for the space and while I had never in my life tried to grow a plant, I decided that I would save all of the original owner’s plants and use them in the garden we were going to build.
As luck would have it, it turned out I have a bit of a green thumb. Now, 10 years later, I absolutely love gardening, and we have a rather large garden.
My gardening style lies somewhere between “clean, intentional lines”, and “AHHHH!!, nature is taking over”. There is a constant battle to keep the woods at bay. Honestly, it’s a battle I love, because the woods serve as a gorgeous backdrop.
I’ve worked hard to create defining lines, such as this old fence. I pull anything that creeps over, under, or through the fence, but let nature have it’s way with the other side.
So anyway, one section of the garden has a path that leads out to the woods. Years ago, I tried to frame this path with some bushes, but it didn’t really work the way I pictured it in my head.
The bushes have grown big a beautiful but the “natural arch” I thought I could make mostly just blends in with the background, so the path is more or less lost. I decided it was time to accept defeat on the original plan and build something instead.
So I headed to the "lumber yard". That’s what we call the rather large building on our property that was built for the sole purpose of holding all of the reclaimed building materials we acquire. You never know what you might find out there but there is always a good chance you can find something that will get the job done. In this case I found a set of old bi-fold doors.
And a couple of 2x6’s. Conveniently enough, everything was already white so I even got to skip the painting process! (Please ignore all of the other junk in the photo, I am always in the middle of about 37 other projects too. J)
I measured the width of the walkway I wanted to frame and added as many inches as I could squeeze out of the boards I had. If I was working with brand new wood, I probably would have made my cuts a bit bigger.
I marked the center of each board, then measured out where I needed the doors to attach.
With those cuts marked, I knew how much space I really had left over and I sketched out a pergola style curve into the remaining space.
I used a jigsaw to make all of the cuts on the first end, and then traced it to mark all of the remaining cuts.
Once all of the cuts were made, I used a speed square to mark the edges of each door’s space.
and transfer those lines to the top edge.
and then drilled a hole all the way through.
As I was making sure that everything fit together the way I wanted, Patrick came home from work,
and took over. He has a tendency to do that… whether I want him to or not. J
At least that frees up my hands for photos. Anyhow, we ran really long screws through the hole in the top all the way down into the bi-fold door.
We placed the first two even with the edges of the doors, then centered the third one in the middle.
Then we carried it out to the garden.
Hey, look at that. Now you can actually see that there is a path there!
The garden has really filled in around it now.
It took about an hour to build, and I have to say, I am pretty geeked about the results.
For more fun outdoor projects: