You know how some parents feel like they suddenly have more time once the kids go back to school? Heck, I even know a couple of people who find themselves with so much time they are occasionally bored. I am NOT one of those people. I never have been, but this year is so much worse.
[This post ontains affiliate links.]
I wanted to be more involved in my son’s school, so this year I started substitute teaching. I am only doing it part time, a few days a week, but I am amazed at how much time I seem to have lost because of it. Between substitute teaching, filling orders and doing projects, I never seem to have the time to sit down and actually write my posts.
I am getting a little bit better at managing my new crazy schedule, and I have a plan of attack that I am putting into motion now, so I think it should start getting better soon. I really hope it works because I have so many projects to share. Seriously, if I wrote one post a week I could get through to next summer without doing anything but writing. Of course, that’s not going to happen. I am way too addicted to doing and fixing and making (oh my :-).
So despite the fact that summer is thoroughly over, I have a few more outside projects to share.
Do you remember me saying this spring that curb appeal was big on my list for the summer?
Well, we have a relatively simple exterior, and I wanted to try to dress it up a bit.
I started by finishing the staining on this front porch. I literally started more than a year prior. I don’t know what my deal was with this particular project, but obviously my heart wasn’t really in it. I think it came down to the fact that there is nothing exciting or creative about just staining a deck. Regardless, I finally finished the boring part and got to move onto the fun stuff.
I really wanted an outdoor rug but with the color combination on our house, I was having a really hard time finding one I liked. One day I was wandering Target and noticed a curtain panel that I just loved. I sat there pouting for a while before finally deciding that I was going to find a way to make it work.
So I went shopping and grabbed this. Now this is the part where I should clarify, unlike most of my projects, I did not save money on this one by repurposing or by doing it myself. This clear coat is not exactly cheap. It’s an amazing product, and well worth the money, but with the combined cost of the curtain and this stuff, I could have purchased one of the cheaper outdoor rugs for the same price, if only I could have found one I liked.
So I laid out some plastic and spread my curtain on top.
Then I got to work rolling the clear coat all over with a foam roller. The first coat soaked up a ton which is great because I needed it to be thoroughly saturated into the fabric.
I did 3 very thorough coats on the top, gently lifting the panel off of the plastic between coats so that it wouldn’t dry stuck together.
Then I flipped it over and did 3 more coats on the bottom.
I was a little giddy with excitement as I waited for the last coat to dry! When it was finally ready (it was a beautiful day with a perfect breeze, so the whole thing was done in an afternoon,) I laid it on the porch. (please ignore the missing piece of trim under the front door. I promise it’s there now. :-)
I also tacked it down with a handful of tiny nails, just enough to make sure it wouldn’t blow away.
So there’s the first step in my curb appeal project. Be sure to subscribe to our site so you won’t miss the next projects!
For more great project from The Refurbished Home, check out these favorites: